Monday, July 23, 2007

No wonder some shops won't prosperous


My boy had repeatedly asked me to get him a green pen, for the only one that was lying at home just could'nt be found. It probably had slipped its way to the Salvation Army during the last Spring cleaning.

His reminder kept buzzing in my ears that the moment the school bus sped off with my kids to school, I made a trip to the nearest neighbourhood bookstore. Happily, I settled on one green pen after having tested the ink and I thought I might as well grapped a roll of brown wrapping paper for my girl's project. I laid the two items at the cashier's table. The cashier looked up without any hint of smile. In fact, she was frowning. "YOU TAKE IT", she said curtly.

Well, normally I would'nt mind if sales people do not know how to string their words properly but if the tone is not even RIGHT, it is definitely my right to be disgusted.
Anyway, before I could react, she continued, "TAKE IT! So long. No carrier for this. And the pen so small. No need carrier for it one "

Finally, I spoke out, "Auntie, I must put the things down first. Then, I can free my hands to get money to pay you. So, how much?"

Well, the point here is, how can a little neighbourhood store survives with little or no respect of the customer service skill. Have they not heard about the need to constantly make your customers happy? I have heard enough of shop keepers ranting and raving about the high rental and low sales turnover.

I will say, "Stop it NOW. It's all in your own hands!"

No wonder it is so difficult for a neighbourhood store to be prosperous.

No comments: