Tuesday, July 24, 2007

An Evangelist


This took place quite a couple of weeks ago.

It was a Sunday and a soft spoken serious looking man was at my door. He was accompanied by a teenager. Without showing me any identification pass of where he might be from, he abruptly blabbered about the need to get along well with my neighbours and asked how I could strengthen ties between neighbours.

I was clearly puzzled. My bemusement led me to stare hard at his face blankly. My jaw dropped a little and with a slight frown, I blurted, "HUH?? Are you representing any organisation to do a survey??" To that, he went on to tell me about which church he came from and that he would just want to know how neighbours should get along with one another.

As baffled as I was in the beginning, I paused for a few seconds wondering if I should answer him. Finally, I gave in, thinking that I could just shoo him off with some brief answers. Boy, was I so wrong! He continued to ask my opinion on how God will want us to live in harmony?

Happily, I went on to declare my close relationship with the Lord and hinted him that I attended my Sunday Service quite regularly hoping that he might gave my household a miss for his evangelising work. I was so wrong!

To fast forward the incident, he continued to show me bible scriptures. He even went on to visit me the 2nd time and finally 3rd time, inwhich my patience finally wore off.

Actually, I would not have felt so frustrated but I was in the midst of my afternoon nap during his 3rd visit. Therefore, his presence acted as a catalyst. Before he even had chance to preach, I

chided, "I AM very tired now, for I've just returned from church. Will it not be better for you to share God's words with the non-believers?"

Finally, after his 3rd visit, I never get to see him at my door. Come to think of it, I may be a little harsh. He probably may have good intentions but something just kept bugging me. Why are there still people like him playing evangelist to believers?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

hi check it fast nice joke at www.amazingtruth.blogspot.com

Mark IV said...

if evangelists only want all humans to be believers how do they eat when everybody converts?!!!

Mark IV said...

which implies to have a sustainable living, they will have to envangelize in a speculated manner so there are more people converting, all the same there are even more who are yet to be. which would mean a dynamic equilibrium to be maintained by the planned convertion of the converted. now since believers, by virtue of their name, tend to believe mor ethan non-believers, a strategic change of focus group would certainly have a greater impact on them than the resistive mobs... SO THERE!

oh.. and they will still eat with hands/spoons/forks/sticks depending on which region of the globe they believe they hail from!!!
(praise the lord)

Haricot 微豆 said...

Just because a person is religious doesn't mean there are no loose screws. And, sometimes the over enthusiasm becomes feverish and goes beyond the limit of acceptability. I too have encountered individuals like that. A polite but cool and asserted "I am not interested / I am in a hurry." usually works.

Beware of force-and-enter robbers too !! There were quite a few cases like that in big cities such as Vancouver and Toronto.